Rash

06/04/2007

Question:

I also have developed an itchy skin rash on my arms(from the elbow to my finger tips) and on my neck(the Vee where my shirt didn`t cover me). It is very bothersome even in the car when the rash is covered up with a long sleeve shirt. Is there anything I can put on this rash to help with the itching?

Thank you.

Answer:

Antipruritic lotions containing camphor and menthol are available over the counter. If it's some type of allergic rash, you may benefit from low-strength, OTC, Hydrocortisone 1% applied morning and evening. You should check how much of this is related to sun exposure as it seems to be favoring places that are usually exposed and not covered by clothing.

Sometimes, sunscreen ingredients can also cause this type of a rash. A visit to your physician might be warranted if over the counter preparations are not helpful.

Elma D Baron, MD Elma D Baron, MD
Associate Professor of Dermatology
Director, Skin Study Center