Prostate Cancer

Prostate and Low Blood Cell Count

06/06/2007

Question:

My dad is 78 years old and lives in Istanbul, Turkey. He did his routine check up a week ago and he got a report with low blood cell count (26) normally his doctor told it should be above 52. Previous year his blood cell count test result was normal. Becasue of his age, he has a prostate problem, and his prostate value is 8.0, previous year it was 5.6 and doctor told him the normal is 4.0. He is on drug medication on his prostate. They tested his urine and stool and they noticed blood in stool. They didn`t notice blood in his urine. My dad told me he has no pain or sign that he is sick and he doesn`t see a blood in his stool.

I live in USA and I just try to translate my understanding from him. Could you reply me regarding what type of problem are we facing here? I appreciate it.

Answer:

Though I can't say for certain but I doubt if his low blood count is due to any problem with the prostate.  Loss of blood in the stool could be a problem and I suggest that he has a full evaluation including a colonoscopy to exclude a bowel problem that could be the cause of the low blood count.  I am sure an internist should be able to carry out this evaluation.

I hope this information is helpful to you.

Go to the Prostate Cancer health topic, where you can:

Martin I Resnick, MD Martin I Resnick, MD
Formerly, Professor of Urology