Dental and Oral Health (Children)

Both baby and second teeth

06/05/2007

Question:

My son has just turned 5 years old and has been complaining that his two central incisors teeth are sore. I had a look about 3 weeks ago and they seemed loose. I just noticed tonight that they are still loose and he has two of his permanent teeth coming up behind them? Is this normal? Thanking you in advance.

Answer:

Thanks for your question. It is not unusual for the permanent lower incisors to erupt behind (lingual to) the baby teeth. If the teeth erupt too far forward (facial) then there can be accompanying gum problems with the adult teeth. In some cases, the eruption is a little too lingual, and the baby teeth don't resorb properly.

A visit to the dentist will help determine if this is an issue for your son, and if so, what treatment plan would be best. The soreness could very well be associated with the eruption of the teeth, but an examination by a dentist would be the best way to determine the source.

Go to the Dental and Oral Health (Children) health topic, where you can:

Sarath  Thikkurissy, DDS, MS Sarath Thikkurissy, DDS, MS
Director, Residency Program, Division of Pediatric Dentistry and Orthodontics