Dental and Oral Health (Children)

White tongue, bad breath, and not eating

06/07/2007

Question:

My daughter is 15 months. has a milk allergy and is failing to thrive.Sporadically her eating is very poor. At this time I notice she has bad breath,a whiter than normal tongue at the back, and goes off her food, sometimes I think her the way she holds food in her mouth it may be sore. I know it is not thrush. She did once in the past have this but also had small ulcers which were very sore and I know this because I caught it from her, although I can no longer see any sore ares when she gets this. During all of this time she is also teething but I don,t think this is related.

Can you help? A G.P has recently taken a mouth swab

Answer:

Your daughter has some significant health challenges and her oral health issues can not be diagnosed without a thorough examination. Pediatric dentists are trained to help children with problems like your daughter's, and I encourage you to have her seen by one in your area.

Go to the Dental and Oral Health (Children) health topic, where you can:

Dennis J McTigue, DDS Dennis J McTigue, DDS
Professor of Pediatric Dentistry