Lung Cancer

Around How Much Time is Left?

06/11/2007

Question:

My boyfriend has lung cancer and has attacks were he can't breath. It has started to happen a couple of times a week, also he is almost always in pain, and has a hard time keeping awake. Also, he often has migrains. He refuses to see a doctor. How far advanced could the cancer be, and what kind of time frame does he have left? Is there anything I can do to help him with pain? He won't take pills. What about his sleeping? Is there anything that can be done to make him more comfortable? Really, the advancement and time frame with the info given is most important to me.

Answer:

It's really impossible for me to answer how much time he has left without knowing the stage of the cancer.  It sounds like it is stage 3 or 4. 

Treatment such as chemotherapy or radiation may prolong his time; however, he has to make the decision as to whether he wants any treatment.

If he doesn't want treatment, there are things that can be done to make him more comfortable.  I would recommend speaking to an oncologist (cancer doctor) about that.

I hope this helps a little.  I'm sorry I can't be more helpful without knowing the exact stage.

Go to the Lung Cancer health topic, where you can:

Sandra L Starnes, MD Sandra L Starnes, MD
Assistant Professor of Surgery