Lung Cancer

Around how much time is left?

06/11/2007

Question:

my boyfriend has lung cancer and has attacks were he cant breath.it has started to happen a couple of times a week, also he hurts most always,and has a hard time keeping awake, also he has migrains often. he refuses to see a doctor. how far advanced could the cancer be, and what kind of time frame could be left.on adverage? is there anything i can do to help him with pain,he wont take pills,and with his sleeping? is there anything that can be done to make him more comfortable? Really the advancement and time frame with the info given is most important to me.

Answer:

It's really impossible for me to answer how much time he has left without knowing the stage of the cancer.  It sounds like it is stage 3 or 4. 

Treatment such as chemotherapy or radiation may prolong his time; however, he has to make the decision as to whether he wants any treatment.

If he doesn't want treatment, there are things that can be done to make him more comfortable.  I would recommend speaking to an oncologist (cancer doctor) about that.

I hope this helps a little.  I'm sorry I can't be more helpful without knowing the exact stage.

Go to the Lung Cancer health topic, where you can:

Sandra L Starnes, MD Sandra L Starnes, MD
Assistant Professor of Surgery