High Blood Pressure

Blood pressure drop

06/18/2007

Question:

Why would a person`s blood pressure drop to 62/38 when lying down and rise to as high as 171/120 when standing? Have recently had a cardiac workup and all test were normal. But the flucatating pressure is wearing me out and also very scary. What type of MD should I contact for help?

Answer:

The changes in blood pressure that you describe are abnormal and should lead to a search for the cause.  Sudden increases in blood pressure when standing up can be due to hormonal abnormalities caused by pheochromocytoma, Cushing's disease or hyperaldosteronism.  Also, diseases like mastocytosis or carcinoid syndrome have to be considered.  Finally, although rare, neurological diseases causing a disturbance of blood pressure regulation can be the cause.

In your case, you will need an evaluation by an internist, an endocrinologist or a blood pressure specialist.  You should have blood and urine tests, as well as a neurological exam.

Go to the High Blood Pressure health topic, where you can:

Max C Reif, MD Max C Reif, MD
Professor of Medicine
Director of Hypertension Section