Bad root canal

06/14/2007

Question:

I had a root canal on tooth #2. I still had significant pain after the root canal so I had it retreated about a month later. I still have significant pain on the tooth. Both the original and retreatment were done by specialists. My dentist thinks that it will need to be removed if the pain doesn`t subside. Should I see another specialist?

Answer:

If a single endodontist did both the treatment and retreatment on the tooth, I would contact them to let them know the symptoms you have been experiencing. They may have seen something in the tooth that may help explain your problem.

If you do not feel comfortable going back to that practice, then I would think going to another endodontist and getting a third opinion would be in line. There may be another problem with the tooth that is difficult to diagnose.

If the treatment was done by one dentist and the retreatment by another, you will have to decide which you would like to consult with. Again, another opinion may help clarify things or it may just make things more confusing for you.

John M Nusstein, DDS John M Nusstein, DDS
Associate Professor of Endodontics