Do I need a crown and/or a root canal?

06/21/2007

Question:

About 1 month ago I had a large filling replaced that had cracked over the years. After 3 weeks I was still experiencing sensitivity to cold and hot. The dentist said my bite was off and he did some grinding down of the filling, had me bite down and grind my teeth. After one week I am still experiencing the pain to hot and cold. He said if this persisted to come back. So now what may be some of my options for treatment. The pain doesn`t persist, but a slight ache does at times and is easily controlled with tylenol.

Answer:

Usually persistent pain that is spontaneous in nature is an indication for root canal therapy. Since your tooth is cracked, that makes things a little more complicated. There are certain tests and examinations that can be done to determine whether you need a filling, crown, or root canal and crown, etc.. I can not make this determination without an exam so I suggest that you seek an examination by your dentist or endodontist.

Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS
Assistant Professor of Endodontics