Urethra discomfort

I am post-menopausal and for a few years I have been experiencing an odd sensation of urethra discomfort on a somwhat recurrent basis. It is unrelated to any urinary tract infection and tends to resolve over the course of a week or so, only to recur in a few weeks or months. It is a somwhat scratchy and dry sensation at the opening and does not hurt to urinate. I am on low dose HRT but have also been told that I have a dry eye condition associated with aging and lack of hormoral lubrication in tear glands. Thoughts?

First have an examination of the area to be sure there is no identifiable problem including a urine evaluation for blood and other problems.  If all is normal, you could try a very small amount of estrogen cream applied directly to the urethra on a daily basis for 2 weeks.  Then cut back to 2 or 3 times a week. If you still have a uterus, you are probably taking a progestin along the the estrogen.  That is a standard recommendation.  It the problem persists, return to a urologist for further evaluation.

Go to the Menopause health topic, where you can:

Margery   Gass, MD Margery Gass, MD
Formely, Professor, Clinical Obstetrics & Gynecology