Menopause

Urethra discomfort

07/05/2007

Question:

I am post-menopausal and for a few years I have been experiencing an odd sensation of urethra discomfort on a somwhat recurrent basis. It is unrelated to any urinary tract infection and tends to resolve over the course of a week or so, only to recur in a few weeks or months. It is a somwhat scratchy and dry sensation at the opening and does not hurt to urinate. I am on low dose HRT but have also been told that I have a dry eye condition associated with aging and lack of hormoral lubrication in tear glands. Thoughts?

Answer:

First have an examination of the area to be sure there is no identifiable problem including a urine evaluation for blood and other problems.  If all is normal, you could try a very small amount of estrogen cream applied directly to the urethra on a daily basis for 2 weeks.  Then cut back to 2 or 3 times a week. If you still have a uterus, you are probably taking a progestin along the the estrogen.  That is a standard recommendation.  It the problem persists, return to a urologist for further evaluation.

Go to the Menopause health topic, where you can:

Margery   Gass, MD Margery Gass, MD
Formely, Professor, Clinical Obstetrics & Gynecology