Bleeding and Clotting Disorders

Platelet count and bruising

My platlet count has dropped from 123 to 117 in about a month, and I have had bruising on the sides of my stomach and hips stretching to my back for almost a year. It started with large bruises and has now increased to small bruises along side the larger ones. I have no other symptoms, I am a 28 year old male smoker, if that has anything to do with it.

What could be causing the bruising, and is their anything that can be done to stop it?

It is hard to make any definite statements without having more information about you, your individual case, and having a chance to interview and examine you. I cannot tell you why your platelet count is low from what you have told me, but with those platelet counts I would not expect any excessive bruising.

There are other reasons that could explain why you may be having bruising including other coagulation problems and medications (aspirin, non-steroidal anti-inflammatories (advil, etc.) to name a couple reasons.

I am sorry I cannot give more definite answers, but hopefully your primary care doctor or a local hematologist can give you a more complete answer.

Go to the Bleeding and Clotting Disorders health topic, where you can:

Spero R Cataland, MD Spero R Cataland, MD
Associate Professor of Clinical Internal Medicine