Pain Management

Lower Back Pain

07/17/2007

Question:

I developed back pain that starts in my lower back and then radiates around my side to the front. It feels like a severe electrical shock. It sometimes starts in the front and goes around to the back. When this happens it also radiates down into my legs and makes me go to the ground or chair. I last for about 30 seconds and then I can get up and go. I have severe neuropathy in my legs so that doesn't help either. The frequency of this episodes has begun to happen more often. I get about 5 of these a week. If you could help me I would sure thank you.

Answer:

The pain you are experiencing is likely related to nerve irritation whether from neuropathy or another process such as a herniated disc. Obtaining an MRI of the lumbar spine and evaluation by a neurologist is a good place to start. Also, a pain medicine consultation may be needed.

Go to the Pain Management health topic, where you can:

Salim M Hayek, MD, PhD Salim M Hayek, MD, PhD
Associate Professor of Anesthesiology & Perioperative Medicine