Wellness Center

Knee pain

08/01/2007

Question:

Hi, I had a lateral release, about a week later I pushed off with my leg slightly bent and felt a rubbery pop on the outside of knee, now my knee locks up when I`m standing and when I`m sitting it feels like it`s going to fall asleep or explode it feels so wierd and the only relief is elavation. I still can`t bend or straighten all the way. When I go to sit down I have to kind of fall into the chair and when I go to get up sometimes the knee will pop. Sometimes when I walk there is alot of pain on the inner side of knee. Also my foot and ankle stays swollen. What does this sound like?

Answer:

I forwarded your question to a NetWellness Sports Medicine expert who responded below:

A specific diagnosis cannot and should not be made over the Internet. If you've not already done so, you should follow-up with your orthopedic surgeon ASAP, who can examine your knee, leg, ankle and foot, and determine if any imaging studies (knee X-rays or MRI scan, as well as perhaps also, "duplex venous studies" - to evaluate for a blood clot in your leg) are necessary to guide your further treatment.

Go to the Wellness Center health topic, where you can:

Carolyn   Nickol, RD, MEd Carolyn Nickol, RD, MEd
Director
Fitness Center at CARE\Crawley

Brian L Bowyer, MD Brian L Bowyer, MD
Clinical Associate Professor
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation