Menopause

Premature menopause and uterus didelphys

07/05/2007

Question:

Hello, I have a didelphys uterus, I am 25 years old and have had one successful pregnancy, through c-section, 5 years ago. Last year, I went without my period for 3 months but was not pregnant. I am currently late for my period and took a pregnancy test which was negative. I sweat through the night and wake up with a wet chest. I read that this may be a sign of premature menopause. Is this common in women with my make up? I am feeling PMS symptoms as well. More so than I used to, that is why I thought I may be pregnant, but am not. Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Answer:

What you describe could be a sign of premature menopause (also called premature ovarian failure [POF] and primary ovarian insufficiency [POI]).  Your symptoms might also be signs of thyroid malfunction or other conditions.  Seeing a gynecologist or a reproductive endocrinologist would be advisable, especially if you are interested in having more children.  The menstrual irregularities are not necessarily related to your didelphys uterus.

Should you have POI, be aware that there is still a 5-10% chance of getting pregnant.  The following website may be helpful: pofsupport.org

Go to the Menopause health topic, where you can:

Margery   Gass, MD Margery Gass, MD
Formely, Professor, Clinical Obstetrics & Gynecology