Stroke

Lacunar infarct

07/06/2007

Question:

i AM 33 YRS OLD FEMALE NO HISTORY OF HYPERTENSION OR DIABETES. i HAVE HAD A LITTLE WEIRD SENSATION IN LEFT SIDE OF FACE FOR 3 MONTHS. WENT TO NEURO AND HAD MRI. SHOWED SMALL OLD RIGHT HYPOTHALAMIC LACUNAR TYPE INFARCT. OTHERWISE EXAM WAS UNREMARKABLE. MY DR ORDER TRANSCRANIAL DOPPLER AND CARTOID ARTERY ULTRASOUND AND IT WAS PERFECT. lOTS OF BLOOD WORK AND NOTHING. i DO HAVE SOME PVC`S ALOT IN A ROW ALL THE TIME. NOT SURE IF THIS HAS ANYTHING TO DO WITH IT. I AM VERY SCARED AS I AM A NEW MOTHER OF 11 MONTHS. sHOULD I BE WORRIED AND SEEK ANOTHER OPINION OR JUST RELAX.. wILL THIS HAPPEN AGAIN AND HOW BAD COULD IT BE? pLS HELP

Answer:

I cannot answer your question, as to whether you have had a stroke to cause your facial symptoms, without doing a whole history and physical exam.  The lesion seen on the MRI would not cause facial sensory problems. 

The most important thing to do in any case is to modify all potential risk factors for stroke, as part of optimizing your overall health.  I have written previously about risk factor modification in earlier answers--please refer to these answers for more information.  You should work with your local doctors to accomplish this. 

Go to the Stroke health topic, where you can:

Brett   Kissela, MD Brett Kissela, MD
Director, Neurology Residency Program