Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook

Bleeding and Clotting Disorders

How is hemophilia diagnosed?



I have little bleeding spots on my chest, upper arms and thighs since I was in my 20`s. (I am now in my 50`s.) Recently I have had unexplained bruising (Quarter size on my chest and legs, and unexplained muscle stiffness, soreness and weakness.) My doctor took an anticoagulant test, and it was abnormal. Lupus Anticoagulant - PT-12.2 L sec, INRO-0.9 L sec, Thrombin Time 18.1 H sec. Could this show that I have a bleeding disorder? What tests are used to diagnose hemophilia?


Most bleeding disorders, whether congenital or acquired, can be tested for by laboratory tests.  These tests are interpreted by a hematologist that has had a chance to discuss your symptoms with you and ask questions to analyze if there is a problem, and if so, what the problem could be.

It’s difficult to say anything specific about your case with only the lab information that you provided. In order to be more specific, I would need to examine you and be able to sit down and talk with you. I would recommend that you speak to your primary care doctor about arranging for you to speak to a hematologist about the symptoms that you are having.

I’m sorry I cannot answer your question in any more detail.

For more information:

Go to the Bleeding and Clotting Disorders health topic, where you can:

Response by:

Spero R Cataland, MD Spero R Cataland, MD
Associate Professor of Clinical Internal Medicine
College of Medicine
The Ohio State University