Post root canal pain, bleeding, etc.

07/05/2007

Question:

I had an old silver filling replaced with white back in April. I then returned with pain 2-3x when I was told we would do a root canal. Phase 1 I felt great, then returned for more slight adjustments. Phase 2 was < a week ago. I was told that a pc of instrument broke off in canal. Last night I had unbearable pain and medicated through the night. returned to dr. this am. He removed temp filling and found another canal originally missed and said I was bleeding? what could cause bleeding? I also heard noise coming from my tooth last night???Opinion /advice please!

Answer:

If your questions are in regard to specific treatment by your dentist, I would suggest that you ask him to clarify his treatment so that you can better understand. As far as "bleeding" is concerned, that could mean that the canal that he found was bleeding (which would be normal in certain types of teeth) or that it was irritated around the tooth (which would be normal in certain types of teeth).

I've never heard of sounds coming from teeth so I can't speak to that. Once again, I would ask for more clarification if you have questions about your treatment.

Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS
Assistant Professor of Endodontics