Injury Prevention and Safety

Head injury?

07/05/2007

Question:

Our grandson is staying with us, he leaned back in his chair and hit his head on the wood railing. When we got him down, he had a raised bump the size of my tip of my thumb. This morning he raised up under the table and hit another part of his head, again another raised bump the same size. Later in the day he was jumping on a blown up trampoline and the bump raised quickly. What`s going on? Should we call our son and daughter-n-law?

Answer:

I really can't say for sure why the bump increased in size. It just may be that the injured tissues have swelled from leakage of fluid into the injured tissues, a normal response of injured tissue.

I would call your grandson's parents if he is:

Otherwise, if he is his normal, active self and eating and drinking well, I don't think you need to call them. It might help to put ice on his bumps for 20 minutes and then remove it for an hour and then repeat the ice for another 20 minutes to help the swelling go down.

If you have any concern that he is not entirely himself in his behavior or he has one or more symptoms listed above, don't hesitate to take him to a pediatric urgent care or emergency room. I hope all is well with him and that you have a joyful Independence Day with him.

Go to the Injury Prevention and Safety health topic, where you can:

Mary M Gottesman, PhD, RN, CPNP, FAAN Mary M Gottesman, PhD, RN, CPNP, FAAN
Professor of Clinical Nursing