Dental and Oral Health Center

Using super glue to temporarily fix a tooth

07/09/2007

Question:

Hello. I have a chipped front tooth that is a porcelain replacement from an accident. I cannot go to the dentist soon and was suggested to stick it back on for a interview I have soon by using super glue. I was told it is medical grade and I should not be poisoned from having it in my mouth. I think I will have to have the whole tooth replaced, so gluing it on should not be a setback in treatment. What do you think?

Answer:

I don't recommend using super glue. I think it will be toxic, especially if by accident you swallow it. Anyway, it will not stick as dental porcelain will not stick to porcelain that easily.

You can try to go to an emergency department with a dentist and have it repaired.  They have special bonding to repair these cases.  Or you can have the crown removed by a dentist and wear a provisional meanwhile.

Go to the Dental and Oral Health Center health topic, where you can:

Alfredo  Hernandez, DDS, MS Alfredo Hernandez, DDS, MS
Assistant Professor of Comprehensive Care
School of Dental Medicine