Vascular Surgery

Red to purple feet

07/06/2007

Question:

i am 47 years old and have been to many doctors with no real answers. I have red, sometimes purple feet. When you touch the skin, the skin turns white again. The doctors all say that there is a good heart beat in my feet. The spots (that is how the different color started) are moving above my knees and on my buttocks. I am very concerned. One dermatologist looked at it for under 5 seconds and stated when I go through menopause, it would be better. They also suggested having it lasored. I had a hysterectomy about 4 years ago, so that is not going to happen. Sometimes my feet look like a dead persons feet. When I wake up in the morning, it is getting difficult to walk, my hands are frequently swelling and very sore making it difficult to open jars etc. I have had blood work done making sure it was not diabetes, which it is not. Please help in any way you can. Desperate!

Answer:

If the pulses are good in your feet, we as vascular surgeons don't get too concerned about the color change you are describing. You may want to consider having a venous reflux study done to look and see if the vein valves are not working well and thereby casing swelling.

Go to the Vascular Surgery health topic, where you can:

Amy B Reed, MD Amy B Reed, MD