Depression

Increasing Medication Dosages

07/09/2007

Question:

I am a very successful executive, but since last 12 months suffering from depression anxiety and tension. I have become very apprehensive and always under the fear that something will happen. Even my daughter who goes to college which is 3 kilometers from my residence, I continue fearing until she returns. I have become apprehensive. Even I am lacking assertive and can not talk to anybody with clarity. I am on Lexapro 10 mg with Clonazepam suggested by psychiatrist. I think my Lexapro has become less effective. Are than any options available to me so that I can take up with the psychiatrist. Staying in a very remote part of India. I shall be obliged to receive your guidance. I do yoga relaxation techniques but medicine has lost effect. Can you guide me I am not asking for treatment recommendations but only guidance.

Answer:

You should begin by consulting again with your psychiatrist. Consider increasing the dose of your Lexapro to 20 mg/d, and possibly increasing the Clonazepam. Continue your yoga meditation and try to add regular exercise. You may also want to try fish oil supplements or Omega-3 supplements if that is available where you live. Most of all, do not give up hope. There are effective treatments for your condition.

Go to the Depression health topic, where you can:

Lawson  Wulsin, MD Lawson Wulsin, MD
Professor of Psychiatry and Family Medicine, Training Director of the Family Medicine Psychiatry Residency Program