Dental and Oral Health (Children)

Missing incisors and skewed tooth line

07/09/2007

Question:

My 6 year old is missing both of his upper central incisors. We have seen a dentist and he said that there was no permanent tooth in either place either. However my son`s tooth line is growing progressively skewed. The top of his right lateral incisor is nearly at the bottom of the left lateral incisor but the tooth is not loose. Should I have reason for concern? And is it possible that the tooth is fused to his permanent tooth? He was at the dentist a few months ago and the dentist was not concerned however this does not look right. The gum line on the incisor and the canine appears to be migrating down as well.

It this something that I could be concerned about or should I let it take it`s natural course?

Answer:

It is not possible to make an informed comment about your child's teeth without an examination. My advice is to have your child examined by a pediatric dentist. These dentists have additional training in children's dental issues and can advise you appropriately.

Go to the Dental and Oral Health (Children) health topic, where you can:

Dennis J McTigue, DDS Dennis J McTigue, DDS
Professor of Pediatric Dentistry