Lung Cancer

Granuloma or granulitis

07/10/2007

Question:

recently my daughter was in a car accident. at the hospital they performed the neccesasary test to evaluate her condition. nothing was broken and was told she would be sore and bruised. five days later the hospital caleed her to say the had found a spot on her lung and ask was she a smoker which she is. she also has asthma.she was told that it was either granukoma or granulitis, she was so upset she couldn;t remember which. she was told she should see her DR. tomorrow.

What does this mean and what could it be. she,s having a friend drive her to my home she is so upset. she asked me to find out what i could on the net so could you please give us your opinion? thank you very much.

Answer:

A granuloma is like a scar. It typically occurs after some infections, or with certain diseases. A granuloma in the lung has a fairly typical appearance - it is calcified - which is what they may have seen in your daughter’s radiographic study. Lung granulomas are common in certain parts of the country. For example, in the Ohio River Valley, around half of all people have been exposed to a fungus that causes histoplasmosis. It can result in granulomas.

I suspect this is nothing to worry about, but she should see her physician. However, your daughter’s concern demonstrates that she realizes smoking is a bad habit. Hopefully this is a “wake-up call” that can convince her to quit. Otherwise, the next nodule in her lung may be lung cancer.

Go to the Lung Cancer health topic, where you can:

Michael F Reed, MD Michael F Reed, MD
Assistant Professor of Surgery