Colon Cancer

22 and worried about colon cancer!!!

07/23/2007

Question:

I am a 22 year old female and I have been having symptoms for years. First I had my gallbladder removed at 16 yrs old and then about a year later I started experiencing diarrhea off and on for about 2 years. Then it changed into constipation and severe abdominal pain for years now along with changes in size and shape of my stools. I have tried changing my diet and exercising but I feel my symptoms are getting worse!! I do have a history of colon cancer on my dads side with my grandfather and aunt being affected around 50 and benign polyps reported in my moms side in 2 people. I guess what my question is what are my chances of having colon cancer at my age and what are the other possible solutions that it could be? I am having trouble getting my insurance back and having to do nothing but wait is really worrying me.

Answer:

Odds of colon cancer at your age are low but not impossible. Would suggest that you see a physician for at least a basic evaluation including blood work.

Go to the Colon Cancer health topic, where you can:

Gregory S Cooper, MD Gregory S Cooper, MD
Professor of Medicine