Gum Diseases

Gum tissue graft

07/18/2007

Question:

I have two concerns/questions -

When my periodontist did the graft, he said he was filling the space with collagen so there wouldn`t be a big gap. But now, 4 days later, there is a big gap, and it is raw and burning. There is pain shooting to my ears, and I have a headache on the left side.

The bottom where he attached the tissue is very swollen and somewhat painful, but the part that concerns me is that all is pink, save for a small section that is white, right on the tooth with the worst recession. Does this mean it is not taking?

So the palate is so swollen I talk with a lisp - did the collagen move? Will I have this gap forever? When will the buringin stop? And does the white part mean it isn`t taking? :(

Answer:

Gap...I am assuming that it is the donor site. We sometimes place a collagen tape/membrane to seal the area. If you are experiencing pain, you may be developing some complications. 

The recipient site...Pink and red are good. White and bad smell are not good. Also, we recommend that patient does not try to look at surgical site. Every time you try to pull your lip to look at the area, you may be moving the graft and destroying newly forming blood circulation.  You should be seeing your periodontist soon for the first week post-operative control.

Go to the Gum Diseases health topic, where you can:

Binnaz   Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD Binnaz Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD
Associate Professor of Periodontology