Exercise and Fitness

Tight muscles causing dysfunction

07/17/2007

Question:

After years of inactivity, I`ve decided to go to the gym for the first time. I turn 19 this year, and decided it`s time to start building my body, not that I`m fat or anything.

Anyways, I went to my local gym and fitness centre, and worked on some of the machines. After an hour, my arms and chest were sore, which was expected, and it took 4 days for the soreness to completely heal.

Now one thing I`ve noticed is that my armpit muscles have become tight, such that I can`t raise my hands when they`re at my sides to a 90 degree angle with my body... doing so, makes the middle portion of my chest feel like it`s about to explode.

I also notice some strain on the armpit area when pushing my shoulders back or trying to keep my back straight as well as lifting my arms above my head.

I know I`ve done something wrong... is there anything I can do to fix it?

Answer:

In my opinion, you began your training routine by overtraining.  Overtraining occurs when the volume and intensity of your exercise routine exceeds the recover capacity.  In order to combat overtraining, it is very important to start a regular exercise routine slowly.  Volume and intensity should remain low.  Too much, too fast can lead to injury, loss of motivation, insomnia, depression, etc.  Don't give up, just take it slow.  Hope this helps. 

Go to the Exercise and Fitness health topic, where you can:

Jayme   Johnson, MS Jayme Johnson, MS
Program Manager
Fitness Center at CARE\Crawley