Pain Management

Causes of Severe Headache

07/17/2007

Question:

For the last 3 days I have been getting severe headaches. They are made worse by any kind of movement. If I'm lying down the pain seems to be at the front of the head,like pressure pain but if I'm standing up then the pain seems to be at the back of the head. The pains are that bad that i cant bend my head forward,as soon as I do I get a really severe pain at the back of my head which is a little further up near the middle of my head. Its hard to describe the pain,but it is extremely painful, never felt anything like it before. Along with the severe headaches I've also had a high temperature with cold chills, nausea, wanting to sleep a lot,no energy,dizziness, there's been times I've nearly passed out, dry mouth, a bit of a stiff neck but that could be due to the fact that I cant really move my head. Any ideas on what it could be?

Answer:

Please, seek medical attention at the closest emergency room now. The severe headache associated with stiff neck can possibly represent an aneurysm. Hence, it is very important that you are evaluated at the emergency room urgently. Please, make sure that you do not drive yourself to the emergency room. Let the significant other or a friend transfer you to the emergency room now. I do not mean to scare you. Your headache might be benign in nature. However, it is critical to exclude an aneurysm or any other significant etiology. Best Regards.

Go to the Pain Management health topic, where you can:

Yousef  Mohammad, MD, MSc Yousef Mohammad, MD, MSc
Director, Stroke Fellowship Program