High Blood Pressure

Final diagnosis for HBP and low pulse

07/30/2007

Question:

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your answer to my previous question "High blood pressure and low pulse" (07/16/07).

The final diagnosis to all my problems is "I have nothing", it was only "white coat hypertension".

I don`t understand how I could have been under medications for 3 or 4 years for hypertension, having severe hypertension times to times and ending with no hypertension at all.

Well, so I`m taking no more medications from now on and have to wait and see if the problem will come back or not.

Not sure yet if I have to take a second advice.

I also wanted to thank you for your concise answer and tell you that all the questions and answers on HBP are very useful for non-doctors.

Answer:

White coat hypertension is not totally benign.  Patients with this syndrome often are "hyperreactors", i.e. their blood pressure increases more when stressed than those of their "normal" counterparts.  Patients with white coat hypertension have a slightly greater risk of developing sustained hypertension later in life.

In your case, 24 hour ambulatory blood pressure monitoring may be a more precise way to define your true blood pressure status.

Go to the High Blood Pressure health topic, where you can:

Max C Reif, MD Max C Reif, MD
Professor of Medicine
Director of Hypertension Section