Injury Prevention and Safety

I hit my head two nights ago.

07/23/2007

Question:

I hit my head two nights ago. My new kitten was bothering me while i was trying to sleep and i slammed the left side of my head right into the corner of my side table, throwing the remote off and everything. yesterday i was having severe migrans and dizzy spells. today i noticed that at least half of the left side of my head was bruised/sore. then i began have more migrans and dizzy spells. i`ve nearly passed out a couple times from my dizzy spells as well. i don`t remember much after i hit my head because i`m not sure if i passed out or just fell back asleep because it was late at nite/early morning. but my neck has also been really sore and it just feels like my head is really heavy. i`m not sure of what may have happened but i`m also nervous of to the doctor because i only have short term health insurance so it doesn`t cover much! what may have happened? do i really need to go to the doctor! i`ve been feeling really nasueated as well.

Answer:

It certainly does sound as though you should be seen by a doctor. Your symptoms of headache and nausea are as likely to be due to a migraine as they are to a brain injury. You dizziness is also concerning and not typical of a migraine headache. I absolutely appreciate your concerns about cost, but the only way to know if you are dealing with a brain injury or to get help with your migraine headaches, if that is the problem, is to see your doctor. I hope you feel better soon.

Go to the Injury Prevention and Safety health topic, where you can:

Mary M Gottesman, PhD, RN, CPNP, FAAN Mary M Gottesman, PhD, RN, CPNP, FAAN
Professor of Clinical Nursing