Sarcoidosis

More awareness to sarcoidosis

07/23/2007

Question:

My husband passed away in his sleep at age 46 as a result of sarcoidosis mainly affecting his lungs. We were unaware of this disease or that he even had it - we had thought he had died of heart failure. I have found that it seems to not be funded to have doctors or to the people to know of this disease. It should be put out there just as is cancer and heart disease, etc. Not enough information about this and it needs to be alerted to people of all kind - so that a life such as my late husband can be saved and the decease can be treated and diagnosed early!!

Answer:

Dear Madam-

I am sorry to hear about your husband, and I am in complete agreement with you. Having cared for patients with sarcoidosis for many years now, it is clear that better treatments are needed and that all cases of sarcoidosis are not the same. Thus, we need to learn more about the disease before more effective treatments can be developed.

Generally speaking, the taxpaying public is responsible for the type of research that is conducted by the government. The huge investment being made to cure cancers and heart disease reflect the overall concerns of the public. Sarcoidosis is a lot more common than most people think (it is one of the most common chronic lung diseases in young adults, and can cause sudden death related to heart and lung involvement), which justifies more scientific investment in the disease.

I would suggest that you contact your congress-persons and become involved in regional and national sarcoidosis support groups if you want to draw attention to sarcoidosis and increase support for research in this area.

Sincerely,

Elliott Crouser MD

The Ohio State University Medical Center

Go to the Sarcoidosis health topic, where you can:

Elliott D Crouser, MD Elliott D Crouser, MD
Associate Professor of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep Medicine