Face and Jaw Surgery

Jaw dislocation

07/23/2007

Question:

My mom is 55 and has been suffering from jaw dislocation at times. last time she went to the dentist for tooth filling and then it occured. it is usually very very painful as described by her. pls adv any remedy or precaution for this problem.

Answer:

Recurrent dislocation of jaw is common in some anatomically predisposed individuals due to disruption or laxity of the jaw joint capsule and ligaments that stabilize the jaw joint(TMJ). Many surgical interventions are available to correct chronic dislocation and painful temporomandibular joint. Recurrent dislocation may result in osteoarthritis of the TMJ with chronic pain and inflammation.

I recommend she see an oral and maxillofacial surgeon for examination and appropriate radiographs or scans as needed. The surgical options or the need for surgery can only be decided after a complete evaluation.

Go to the Face and Jaw Surgery health topic, where you can:

Likith V Reddy, MD, DDS, FACS Likith V Reddy, MD, DDS, FACS