Dental and Oral Health Center

Tongue irritation

07/24/2007

Question:

My recent visit to the dentist revealed a tiny little sting-like skin, about 1/8” long, red, hanging off the underneath of my tongue. It was on the vein line. It looked red and irritated. The dentist did not know what it was and is a little concerned. She said watch it, if not gone in 3 weeks to come back. I thought I slit it in on my front teeth, but don’t know for sure. Also, my red bumps on the back of my tongue on the side seem sore as the they rub on the left side. The dentist said that area looked okay, but seems like they did not get sore until after the visit. Could the cleaning stuff have irritated them?

Answer:

Any sore or irritation should heal in 1-2 weeks, so I agree, go back and see your dentist if it still is there.  Regarding the other soreness, yes, sometimes (rarely) people can get sores from toothpastes or have reactions for some reason after they visit the dentist.  These too should go away in 1-2 weeks.

Go to the Dental and Oral Health Center health topic, where you can:

Michele P Carr, RDH,  MA Michele P Carr, RDH, MA
Associate Professor of Dental Hygiene
Associate Professor of HS Nursing Quality & Research