Dental Hygiene

Tongue

07/25/2007

Question:

My recent visit to the dentist revealed a tiny little sting like skin, about 1/8” long, red hanging off the underneath of my tongue. It was on the vein line. It looked a red and irritated. The dentist did not know what it was and is a little concerned. She said watch is if not gone in 3 weeks to come back. I thought I slit in on my front teeth but don’t know for sure. Also my red bumps on the back of my tongue on the side seem sore as the they rub on the left side. The dentist said that area looked ok but seems like they did not get sore until after the visit. Could the cleaning stuff have irritated them?

Answer:

It is possible to have a mild allergic reaction to something that was used.  Some things that could cause sensitivity would be if the office is not latex free, the type of paste used, or the fluoride given. 

It would be good to have this area checked, especially if it seems to be worsening.

Go to the Dental Hygiene health topic, where you can:

Wendy  J Moore, RDH, EFDA, BS, MS Wendy J Moore, RDH, EFDA, BS, MS
Clinical Associate Professor of Dental Hygiene