Crowns, Bridges, Dentures, Implants

Removing Blade Implants

07/30/2007

Question:

I underwent removal of blade implants in 2006 there were three of them on my upper jaw (three implants and two natural teeth) Unfortunately, the doctors who performed the operation failed to create a graft and had to close without one. It was a disaster. They took the middle (instead of the top) of my inner cheeks and closed and everything pulled downward; no sinus wall, resulting in my nostril opens to enlarge ending in atrophic rhinitis and the mouth is turned downward at the corners from the resistance of the cheeks pulling back. I am unable to fully open my mouth and my cheeks are badly scarred in the inside from splitting. Sadly I am unable to produce any mucus in my nose and I have totally atrophied my sinus and alveolar ridge. I am in big trouble. Have you ever heard of something like this happening before. Can it be repaired. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Answer:

No, I never heard of something like this before. I think it could be repaired. What you need to do is to look for a well-trained maxillofacial surgeon or oral surgeon in your area or dental school with a high reputation. They will determinate what kind of bone graft you need.

Go to the Crowns, Bridges, Dentures, Implants health topic, where you can:

Alfredo  Hernandez, DDS, MS Alfredo Hernandez, DDS, MS
Assistant Professor of Comprehensive Care
School of Dental Medicine