Oral Cancer

What are Possible Reasons for a White Patch on the Soft Palate?

07/26/2007

Question:

Hello, I am scheduled for a biopsy of a small white colored sore/hard spot on the soft palate in the back of my mouth. This sore is mildly painful at times and has reoccurred in the same spot for more years than I can count. This time around the spot was discovered by my dentist during a routine exam/dental cleaning. The hygenist and dentist referred me to an oral surgeon who has scheduled me for a biopsy soon. Of course, I am concerned and hoping for the best, but preparing myself for the worse. I am hopeful that this is not throat cancer. Can you possibly give me an idea of some of the common conditions that this might be? I am aware that one of them may be cancer.

Answer:

The list of conditions this could represent is quite long, and this question is difficult to answer. The biopsy is a reasonable step to find out the answer, and you should further discuss with your oral surgeon. If this turns out to be a benign process, you can ask for a referral to an oral pathologist for more detailed information on your condition.

Go to the Oral Cancer health topic, where you can:

Amit  Agrawal, MD Amit Agrawal, MD
Associate Professor of Otolaryngology