Dental and Oral Health (Children)

Adult tooth coming in above before baby is...

07/27/2007

Question:

My five year old has her front second tooth comming in but the baby tooth didnt fall out yet and you could see it above the baby tooth not where the baby tooth is its comming out at the top the gum.she fell at 14 months old and broke off most of the tooth the doctor did a root canal and put a crown on what was left of the tooth.The doctor pulled the baby tooth now but is this unlikely for this tooth to come in like this will it grow down in place where it should now that the baby tooth was pulled. Thank you

Answer:

Permanent teeth are sometimes blocked out of their proper position by over-retained baby teeth. Removing the baby teeth does not always fix the problem and allow the permanent teeth to fit correctly. I advise you to get another opinion from a pediatric dentist. This dentist will examine your child and explain possible problems and solutions.

Go to the Dental and Oral Health (Children) health topic, where you can:

Dennis J McTigue, DDS Dennis J McTigue, DDS
Professor of Pediatric Dentistry