Why are the soles of my feet sore?

07/30/2007

Question:

I don`t know if my problem is related to aging, but I am asking it here because I am 77 years old. The soles of meet are often very sore. My only ailment is chronic asthma, but this is under control. Otherwise I am healthy. My feet are a normal pink color, as are the nails. I do have varicosities on the inside of my ankles but they are more unattractive than serious. Do you have any idea what could cause this annoying problem? My thanks for your reply.

Answer:

It is not uncommon, as we age, to lose some of the natural fat pad on the bottom of the feet. This can lead to the kind of soreness that you describe. An over-the-counter foot insole that is designed to cushion the feet and absorb shock can reduce this type of soreness. There are other conditions that can cause this soreness and if the over the counter padding does not I help I would recommend you be examined by a podiatrist.

Jeffrey M Robbins, DPM Jeffrey M Robbins, DPM
Clinical Assistant Professor of Surgery