Arthritis and Rheumatism

CA27.29 and arthritis

08/01/2007

Question:

Can inflamation and arthritis cause the CA27.29 test to increase or rise?

Answer:

The CA27.29 test is a out of my expertise of Rheumatology. An Oncology expert would likely be able to answer your question more completely. What I can share from a brief review of literature is that the CA27.29 test seems to be useful tool for serial monitoring of metastatic breast cancer. The assay uses a monoclonal antibody to detect circulating MUC1. MUC1 is expressed on epithelial cells of several different organs. Breast cancer may disrupt the normal cell architecture and cause MUC1 to be shed into the circulation where it may then be available for detection by the CA27.29 assay. It does not appear that the test is 100% specific for breast cancer. The literature suggests that the CA27.29 test be elevated in other conditions including chronic hepatitis, liver cirrhosis, tuberculosis, or systemic lupus erythematosus to name a few.

Source: Cheun KL, Graves CRL, Robertson JFR. Tumor marker measurement in the diagnosis and monitoring of breast cancer. Cancer Treatment Reviews 2000;26:91-102.

Go to the Arthritis and Rheumatism health topic, where you can:

Raymond  Hong, MD, MBA, FACR Raymond Hong, MD, MBA, FACR
Formerly, Assistant Professor of Medicine