Post root canal trauma

07/30/2007

Question:

I had a root canal on Monday (today is Saturday). While having the RC, the dentist his the 3rd canal that was still "alive" (as he said) and about sent me through the roof. He continued to "dig". Afterwards he did not prescribe any antibiotics or pain pills. Monday was not bad, Tuesday the pain began and I ended up taking a pain pill I had. The pain continued but it wasn`t in my tooth...it`s in my jaw and cheek area. I`ve been running low grade fever and my medical doctor said to get on antibiots and I have been on them since Wednesday. I`m still running low grade fever with continuous cheek and jaw pain to touch, obvious swelling that irritates my ears and throat and my eyes water almost continuously. I even have an occassional chill through my whole face and brain. I am suppose to have foot surgery next Thursday and am concerned what this might be and whether or not I should cancel the surgery. What could possibly be wrong?

Answer:

You need to speak to your physician or surgeon regarding whether you should have your surgery.  They are the only people that can make that decision. 

I cannot diagnose your condition from a description of your symptoms alone.  What you are describing does not sound like it is related to your tooth.  The only way to know what is going on is to follow up with your dentist or see your endodontist to determine whether you have a problem related to the tooth.  You need to see your physician for all other conditions not related to your teeth, and they can make the determination on whether to proceed with the surgery.

Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS
Assistant Professor of Endodontics