Stroke

Lacunar infarct, right lentiform nucleus

08/06/2007

Question:

I`m 44 yo, female, single and a medical practitioner. A week ago I experienced left sided headache asso. with mild vertigo. CT scan was done which revealed lucunar infarct. Right lentiform nucleus. My blood pressure is 90/60mmhg ever since though I have a strong family history of hypertension. What are the probable causes of this infarct? Do i have to do an MRI? Is there a chance of recurrence? Is there any medications for this or any restrictions as to diet and lifesyle?

Answer:

I have written in previous answers about the risk factors for stroke and how to prevent a second stroke. There is some risk of recurrence. Without knowing your entire medical history, it is impossible to know what caused your stroke—you should discuss this with your local physician, who would also be the best person to ask about the necessity of brain imaging studies (I presume some have been done already). As to diet and lifestyle—a heart healthy diet is your best bet, and you should try and lead a healthy and active lifestyle. I hope this information helps.

Brain Attack/Stroke: Risk Factors

Go to the Stroke health topic, where you can:

Brett   Kissela, MD Brett Kissela, MD
Director, Neurology Residency Program