Osteoporosis

Can Osteoporosis Cause a Hump on the Back of the Neck?

08/13/2007

Question:

I am 26 years old and have had a hump at the base of my neck since high school. The hump seems to be flesh or fat and is somewhat numb to the touch. However, when I bend my head forward, vertebrae do stick out in the location, so I do think bone structure is contributing to the hump in some way. I have been researching this issue and some sources say a hump in this area is a sign of osteoporosis (which seems unlikely at my age) and others suggest it is due to weight gain and poor posture. I am not over weight, never have been overweight and do not have a large chest and never have had a large chest. My mother has a similar hump at the base of her neck, but claims it is from arthritis. Do you know what this could be and whether I can correct it?

Answer:

It is impossible to tell what you have without an examination. It could be a genetic condition if it looks exactly like your mother's neck, but it would be best to see your physician to obtain the accurate diagnosis.

Go to the Osteoporosis health topic, where you can:

Margery   Gass, MD Margery Gass, MD
Formely, Professor, Clinical Obstetrics & Gynecology