Obesity and Weight Management

Hip pain and overweight

08/13/2007

Question:

To start off I am not sure what doctor to see, I’ve been having sever hip pain. It doesn’t seem like the joint but the muscles that make it move. I have explained this to my primary care doctor, in which I was told to loose weight. It was dooly noted but I am not so sure if that is the problem. Thinking it might be post pregnancy related. I asked my gynecologist. She suggested the same, loose weight. Before I tell you my stats…….I was pregnant with twins. I had severe round ligament pain, which is the same pain I am having, when I talked to my gynecologist she said it should go away with in a year, my twins will be 2 soon. I only gained 35 pounds during pregnancy and have lost that the day I left the hospital.

So here it goes I am 5’-5.1/2” tall I weigh 187, when I consider myself skinny I am about 150. I don’t feel overweight but I look it. I have no idea what my ideal weight should be, I am not a small person but don’t consider my body “big boned” either. Also, I think I retain water a lot. I am sort of swollen. I did have congestive heart failure six days after the babies were born. I am fine now, it was the cause of overload of fluid; from the c-section, my heart was a little weak, from carrying the babies and the extra hormones, all this with no long term damage to my heart.

With all this said…… I was wondering if you could give me some suggestions about loosing water weight and if the hip problem steams from my weight.

Answer:

There are many causes of hip pain, which can easily be investigated with an imaging study (for example X rays, MRI). In young healthy women, the most common causes are:

Other causes of hip pain include:

It is true that being overweight puts a lot of stress on the hips and can cause arthritis and that losing weight can significantly improve hip and back disorders. Whether your hip condition is related to your weight would have to be determined by your doctor. It is true that usually the first few pounds of weight loss (3-5lbs) can be related to water. This is not where you want to focus because water weight is not going to contribute to poor health outcomes such as diabetes, HTN and obesity.

The concern with weight is the amount of excess fat that is stored in the body especially in the abdomen around the major organs. This form of fat distribution is linked to diabetes and heart disease. At your height, your body mass index should be less than 25, which corresponds to a weight range of 110 to 130 lbs. At your current weight and height of 5 feet, you BMI is 36 which puts you in the obese category. You can calculate your BMI by weight in kg divided by height in meters squared or visit the BMI calculator on the netwellness website.

The way to prevent swelling is to watch your salt/sodium intake and aim at lowering your salt/sodium intake to less than 2gm or 2000mg of sodium per day. It is also a good idea to have your thyroid check, as it can also be a cause of swelling and weight gain.

Go to the Obesity and Weight Management health topic, where you can:

Esa M Davis, MD, MPH Esa M Davis, MD, MPH
Adjunct Assistant Professor of Family Medicine