Depression

Depression Drug Interactions

08/06/2007

Question:

I am currently on Plavix--having suffered bouts of depression for years I have finally approached my doctor about some of the safer anti-depressants. She does not think that any of the drugs-even SSRIs are safe to take in conjunction with Plavix. I am at a loss as I was hopeful one of those drugs would help me return to my emotionally healthy self. What are your feelings on Plavix/antidepressant safety issues?

Answer:

I think it would help for you to discuss with your doctor getting a consultation from a psychiatrist for a recommendation on:

a) the best antidepressant medication for you to take, and

b) non-pharmacologic options for the treatment of depression.

It is certainly possible to take SSRIs along with plavix and not increase bleeding risk - it just requires periodic monitoring of bleeding indices. Two large trials, one of sertraline, the other of citalopram (both SSRIs) have shown them to be safe and effective in patients with coronary heart disease, many of whom take plavix or aspirin or other anticoagulants.

Go to the Depression health topic, where you can:

Lawson  Wulsin, MD Lawson Wulsin, MD
Professor of Psychiatry and Family Medicine, Training Director of the Family Medicine Psychiatry Residency Program