Menopause

AID or menopause?

10/11/2007

Question:

I am 35 and have never missed a period (well except for the pregnancies of my two beautiful boys). I missed last month and went in 10 days ago for a pregnancy test. My OB/GYN said I wasn`t pregnant and ordered some bloodwork. The results are in and it looks like I am in menopause. She is completely baffled. Everything happened so quick. She is having me come in for another round of blood work. She mentioned that the hormonal changes could be caused by an auto immune disorder. My question to you is, What AID could cause this?

Answer:

If you are basically healthy, it is unlikely to be an autoimmune disorder.  It would be good to recheck your hormone levels including thyroid and prolactin levels.  Review any medications you are taking with your physician to be sure they are not causing a problem.  Premature menopause or premature ovarian failure (age less than 41) do occur in some women.

Go to the Menopause health topic, where you can:

Margery   Gass, MD Margery Gass, MD
Formely, Professor, Clinical Obstetrics & Gynecology