Exercise and Fitness

Safe temps for a workout...

08/27/2007

Question:

I was wondering at what room temp. it can become unsafe for me to do taebo----I have been taking the class 3 x`s a week for several years and feel v fit. However the building where I take the class is v v hot in the summer...tonight it was 96 degrees in there!! We do take many h2o breaks throughout class, but I worry about the room temp. Tonight I came home and was nausiated. I laid down for what I thought was a a few minutes only to find that I had fallen asleep for 2 hours. Just concerned about myself and fellow work-out pals

Answer:

The National Strength and Conditioning Association recommends that a facility's temperature range between 72 degrees and 78 degrees.

The National Weather Service uses these categories:  

At the "Caution" level, fatigue is possible with prolonged exposure and/or physical activity.  At the "Extreme Caution" level, sunstroke, muscle cramps, and/or heat exhaustion are possible with prolonged exposure and/or physical activity.  At the "Danger" level, sunstroke, muscle cramps, and/or heat exhaustion is likely.  Heat stroke is possible with prolonged exposure and/or physical activity.  At the "Extreme Danger" level, heat stroke or sunstroke are likely.

Sounds like you may have experienced heat exhaustion.

Hope this helps and stay safe.

Go to the Exercise and Fitness health topic, where you can:

Jayme   Johnson, MS Jayme Johnson, MS
Program Manager
Fitness Center at CARE\Crawley