Bleeding and Clotting Disorders

Blood test report

08/02/2007

Question:

My father is a 82-year old person. His recent blood test(TC,DC,ESR)report shows "Anisopoikilocytosis(+),microcytes, tear drop cells, elliptocytes,targrt cells, hypochromia".We don`t understand what these indicate.Is it something to worry about or normal? Should we go for further investigation? If so,what tests? We need some guidance.It was just a regular health check up kind of test. Apparently he does not have severe health problem(he is on blood pressure and blood sugar medications,not in unusually high dose).Some advice needed, Thanks.

Answer:

The report that you are referring to: "anisopoikilocytosis, target cells…" are all descriptions of the red blood cells. All of the descriptions that you list can be caused by many different things, including bone marrow diseases, iron deficiency, and even liver disease, to name just a few. With such a long list of possibilities, I cannot say much more without being able to speak to and examine your father. I would suggest that you talk to his physician to see if he can explain to you the meaning of these findings in your father.

Go to the Bleeding and Clotting Disorders health topic, where you can:

Spero R Cataland, MD Spero R Cataland, MD
Associate Professor of Clinical Internal Medicine