Pain Management

Chronic Knee and Calf Pain

08/09/2007

Question:

Hello, I am a 31 year old female who has suffered from knee pain for as long as I can remember. (at least 3 years old) Sleepless nights all family members massaging my knees and rubbing alcohol or perfume or tying something around my knee because the tighter the better. Those are my childhood memories crying myself to sleep. Just to explain the intensity of the pain. I have 2 children weigh 110 pounds and deliver 9 pd babies and I think labor is not so painful I can cope. The knee pain on the other hand is hell for me I am tired of taking Tylenol daily . It has lost it`s effect nothing helps. What could this be? My childhood doctor wrote it off as "growing pains" I haven`t grown in a decade! My family doc at 21 years of age told me to exercise 3 times a week, I am active but that hasn't helped either??? Any suggestions? Thank you so much for taking the time to read this

Answer:

I would advise you to have an MRI for the knee and seek an Orthopedic/ knee expert. There are few orthopedist who only do knees. If all test and exam came back negative, it is worth to try to do A supartz series injection X 3.

Go to the Pain Management health topic, where you can:

Hammam  Akbik, MD, FIPP Hammam Akbik, MD, FIPP
Formerly, Assistant Professor of Anesthesia