Vascular Surgery

Venous ulcers

08/02/2007

Question:

I`m still looking for information about a product I used successfully some 25 years ago on my acute elder unit in London, Uk. I am a biologist, R.N and midwife RM [UK]. Some of my patients had venous ulcers; we treated many of these [non infected] ulcers with an application of a bisguard bangage [contained china clay, oils, etc, and then, over this damp bandage, a blue line bandage from foot to knee. This provided pressure to assist venus return.

And it worked! It was left on intact for 10 days-14 days. Patients were encouraged to mobilise, [we had dances, singing groups and all patients had small tasks [many aged 65+ went out and found enjoyable paid work afterwards, having gained confidence and social skills as well as physical treatment; soon I was getting postcards from Florida, Toronto and Australia as well as a wedding invitation from a 90 year old!]factors such as diabetes were treated, Vitamen C and Zinc were given as supplements while a good diet was encouraged [some of the patients were in charge of growing fresh salad vegetables and sprouting seeds on our verandah].

Following a back injury, I trained in another field. But I can find no information about the bisguard bandage/blue line bandage now. treatment now. It worked so well and my mother`s friend is suffering through poor treatment which isn`t working. Is it still available?

Our research at this time [25years ago] showed this method was more effective than a range of other methods; second best was occuding the non-infected ulcer with `cling film` type sterile transparent skin cover of the type used for skin cover during surgery; this kept the ulcer damp, allowing flow of O2, nutrients, fibroblasts, etc. A firm support bandage was then applied and kept on until there was any seapage, then reapplied. We always took a swab first to ensure no infection was present, and mobilised, etc. Third was the use of manuka honey with the sterile transparent occusive skin cover, and support bandage properly applied. This was effective, but prehaps unneeded, as the main healing solution was maintaining a MOIST, warm, sterile area. We had also looked at other methods, and had used hyperbaric oxygen in one case when a woman elder came in from a terrible nuring home with a deep decubitis ulcer to her back.But then we had good results from keeping the by now uninfected wound MOIST. We treated infection with systemic antibiotics, collodial silver locally, maintaining mobility continence and a good diet with fresh sprouting seeds, vegetables and fruits - and a joy de vivre!

Answer:

A similar product we use here is Unna's boot, but compression is the mainstay of therapy. Support stockings or Ace wraps (if ulcer present) are, of course, also needed. Venous valve function in the superficial and deep systems should also be checked. Good luck!

Go to the Vascular Surgery health topic, where you can:

Amy B Reed, MD Amy B Reed, MD