Gum Diseases

Gum swelling around 13 year molar

08/03/2007

Question:

I have had many x-ra`s and have no wisdom teeth. I woke up this morning with a tremendous tooth ache and to find my gum right behind my last tooth in the lower left hand side had gums that are even taller than the tooth itself. I felt the swollen gum and it feels very hard to the touch,, almost like another tooth is coming in, but at the same time there is no room in my mouth for another tooth to be coming in. I hurts very very bad and my dentist is closed on Fridays but I`m not sure if this constitutes an emergency. I`m worried it is an infection. Are infections and bad toothaches considered an emergency by dentists?

Answer:

Yes.

Anything causing you discomfort that affects your daily life will be considered an emergency and needs to be taken care of before it gets worse. It sounds like you are developing an abscess. This may be due to a tooth eruption, food impaction, etc.

Your dentist should have an emergency contact number to call and get some help.

Go to the Gum Diseases health topic, where you can:

Binnaz   Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD Binnaz Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD
Associate Professor of Periodontology