Erectile Dysfunction (ED)

Female Sexual Desire (or lack of)

10/08/2007

Question:

My wife and I have been together 28 yrs with two grown children.  I am 46 and she is 47. She has had a hysterectomy a few years ago. We have talked about her reduced interest in sex several times and it`s nothing to do with lack of love. She says she just don`t feel the desire as much as she once did, but I am still interested in sex and really want her to be as active again as she was in the beginning. It`s very hard to get her arousal and desire up and it`s always me that makes the first move. Romance works sometimes, but only for a short time. Thanks

Answer:

Unfortunately, this is a common complaints from middle age married men who still are interested in romance which would then lead to sexual intercourse. Not to mention a romantic dinner and talk is part of love making.

She has gone through Hysterectomy and may have not followed through with hormone replacement therapy. There is plenty of evidence in the literature that hormonal imbalance is one of the major causes of frigidity. Reduced Testosterone is also a cause as well.

Psychological causes, such as depression and anxiety may also play a role. She should try to see her GYN and possibly a sexual consultation by female expert in this field.

Go to the Erectile Dysfunction (ED) health topic, where you can:

Ahmad  Hamidinia, MD Ahmad Hamidinia, MD
Formerly, Professor of Clinical Surgery