Post root canal bleach tasting runny nose

08/07/2007

Question:

I has a root canal done 3 days ago. During the procedure I believe the tooth was injected with bleach. My entire right side of my face felt like it was on fire. My eyes were watering and I was in extreme pain. After she was done I had a bad headache and behind my right eye and in my nose hurt severly. I am still on antibiotics and she metioned that the pain might be due to a fracture. She said to wait over the weekend and see if the pain goes away. The pain did, but for the last 2 days I`ve had problems with a runny nose. When I lay down on the side opposite my root canal I get a flush of bleach tasting water like fluid running from my right nostril. If I lay with my head tilted back the fluid runs down the back of my throat. What is happening? Is this normal? Did she puncture through to my sinus cavity? Please help!

Answer:

I can not speculate about what occurred during your endodontic procedure. I would suggest that you speak with your dentist regarding the symptoms you described, and she can reevaluate you since she is familiar with the particular treatment.

Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS
Assistant Professor of Endodontics